Deadline: 1 May 2015There is one Prospect Burma - Hla Pe Memorial Scholarship for applicants who are proposing to register full-time for taught Masters programmes at SOAS in the academic session 2015/16.
The scholarship is shared with International Student House (ISH). The value of the scholarship provided by SOAS will be £16,000. In addition, ISH provides free accommodation.
- Any full-time Masters programme
- Part-time programmes are not eligible
- Applicants must possess a good honours degree from a U.K. university or equivalent recognized by the School. (Applications from Burma/Myanmar are required to possess or predicted to obtain a Master's degree, awarded in First Class in addition to the 5+ years Bachelor Degree from the University of Yangon, Magway or Mandalay. Those with Second Class, Division 1 in their Master's degree will be considered but not given preference.
- Applicants must choose a dissertation topic on a subject connected with Burma, which may include, but is not limited to, the Burmese economy, Burmese society or the political situation in Burma. When applying for your Master's programme, please include evidence of this in your personal statement.
- Open only to those ordinarily resident in Burma/Myanmar.
- Applicants must have an offer of admission to pursue a full-time masters programme at SOAS by the scholarship application deadline. Priority may be given to applicants with unconditional offers.
- Applicants must meet the English language condition of their offer of admission to study at SOAS as soon as possible but no later than 1 June 2015. If your offer is conditional on English, please arrange your English test and ensure you meet the English requirements as soon as possible.
- Candidates will be assessed on academic merit by a Selection Panel consisting of three academic members, one from each Faculty.
- The assessment of your application will be based on the information in your application. Selectors will be looking at the degree results and also at academic references, statement and other relevant information
- A list of nominees will be selected by the Selection Panel and their applications submitted to the donor for final decision. The following criteria will be taken into account: applicant's motivation and commitment to their chosen programme, disadvantaged background, evidence of their potential to contribute to Burmese society upon completion of the programme and their intention to return to Burma, leadership potential and demonstrated past volunteering and community service.
Scholarship application deadline
- Scholarship applications must be received no later than 17:00 (UK local time) on 1 May 2015.
- You must submit a complete online application to your programme as soon as possible and then submit an application for the scholarship. Applicants applying for scholarships must also submit an application for admission well in advance. Please note that complete applications for admission can take up to 4 weeks to be considered by the Department, although this duration can vary depending on the time of year. You should be prepared to wait up to 6 weeks in busy periods.It is recommended to apply for the programme about six weeks BEFORE the scholarship deadline (that is, by 27 March 2015).
- Late or incomplete applications will not be considered.
Notification of resultsSuccessful candidates will be notified by the end of July. If you have not heard from us by the end of July, you should assume that your application was unsuccessful.
Scholarship application procedureYou must follow two steps:
- STEP 1: Apply for your programme
Applicants must have an offer of admission to pursue a full-time masters programme at SOAS by the scholarship application deadline. A complete application for admission includes transcripts, an explanation of the grading system for any degrees obtained outside of the UK, two references, CV and a personal statement. The panel will be considering your scholarship application TOGETHER with your on-line application for admission. Please note that complete applications for admission can take up to 4 weeks to be considered by the Department, although this duration can vary depending on the time of the year. You should be prepared to wait up to 6 weeks in busy periods. It is recommended to apply for the programme about six weeks BEFORE the scholarship deadline (that is, by 27 March 2015).
- STEP 2: Apply for the scholarship
For enquiries, please contact:
Telephone: +44 (0)20 7074 5091/ 5094