Egypt unrest: Military apologises for protest deaths Skip to main content

Egypt unrest: Military apologises for protest deaths

BBC

Ramy Yaacoub, Free Egyptian Party: "We are deeply concerned about the security situation"
Egypt's ruling military has apologised for the deaths of about 38 protesters in clashes with police, as protests continue in Cairo and other cities. 

The Supreme Council of the Armed Forces (Scaf) said it regretted "the deaths of martyrs from among Egypt's loyal sons".

The violence, which began on Saturday, is the worst since President Hosni Mubarak was ousted in February.
Scaf also said elections would start as scheduled on Monday. There had been speculation that they might be delayed.

In an announcement on Thursday, council member Maj Gen Mukhtar al-Mouallah said the parliamentary elections would be held on schedule. A presidential poll is to take place by June next year.

He said those responsible for deaths and injuries would be held to account, and that protesters arrested since Saturday would be released immediately.

Compensation would be paid to the families of the dead, Gen Mouallah added.

Analysis

The generals' tone was completely different from the fairly confrontational address by the head of the ruling military council, Field Marshal Tantawi, on Tuesday.

For the first time, they offered an apology from the entire armed forces. They also appealed to Egyptians not to compare them with the former regime of Hosni Mubarak - something that is increasingly happening.
"We are completely different," said one of the generals. "We do not aspire to power and we do not want to continue in power."

Overnight, a ceasefire halted violence for a while on the edge of Tahrir Square. But there are thousands of protesters still there and little sign this latest apology will pacify them.

Late on Wednesday, two members of the council appeared on state TV to offer "condolences to the entire Egyptian people".

One of them, Maj Gen Muhammad al-Assar, extended "the regret and apology of the entire armed forces on the tragedy that occurred".

He added: "Our hearts bled for what happened. We hope that this crisis will end and, God willing, it will not be repeated again."

The generals urged Egyptians not to compare them to the former regime of Mr Mubarak, insisting they were not seeking to cling to power.

The BBC's Jeremy Bowen in Cairo says public opinion is divided on the forthcoming parliamentary elections.
Some Egyptians want them to go ahead unhindered, while others believe the military must be swept from power first.

The main opposition group, the Muslim Brotherhood, is not supporting the protests and expects to do well in the elections.

Witnesses said that two groups were chanting against other in Tahrir Square on Thursday - one saying "Muslim Brotherhood, we don't want you in the square" and the other responding with a call for unity.

Street battles continued late into Wednesday night. They were heaviest around the fortified interior ministry off Tahrir Square in Cairo.

Start Quote

This election is really crucial. We need to move forward. We can't just keep running in circles.”
Hassan, a doctor in Tahrir Square
 
The clashes were followed by a truce, which appears to be holding. But the protesters have vowed to continue occupying the square until the country's military rulers stand down.

Workmen in central Cairo have been cleaning up the debris.

One young woman in the square, Safaa Ali, told the BBC: "I'm here because our sisters and brothers have been arrested and killed over there [the interior ministry]."

She said she disagreed with holding elections next week, adding: "We don't trust the army any more. We don't trust them to be the ones supervising the election."

A doctor who only gave his name as Hassan, said he wanted elections to go ahead.

"This election is really crucial," he told the BBC. "We need to move forward. We can't just keep running in circles. What's happening here is not in the best interest of Egypt. I don't know why this is happening."

Protests in Alexandria have been on a smaller scale, but one demonstrator said there was continuing unrest early on Thursday outside the security headquarters.

Egypt's health ministry revised the death toll from 35 to 38 on Thursday, the official Mena news agency reported.

Of the deaths, 33 were in Cairo, two in Alexandria, two in Ismailiya and one in Marsa Matruh, a ministry spokesman said.

The number of people injured since Saturday was 3,256, he added.
Tear gas anger
 
Correspondents say some protesters have turned their anger towards the US after tear gas canisters were found stamped "Made in USA".

Many protesters complain the type of tear gas is far more potent than that used in February's demonstrations.
A US State Department spokesperson told the BBC they were "closely following these reports, but we cannot confirm what is being used".

On Wednesday, UN Commissioner for Human Rights Navi Pillay condemned the "clearly excessive use of force" by Egypt's security forces and called for an independent inquiry into the deaths.

The protests have continued despite an attempt by Field Marshal Tantawi to defuse the situation by promising presidential elections by June - six months sooner than planned.

He also accepted the resignation of the civilian cabinet appointed by the military. But in his address on Tuesday, Field Marshal Tantawi offered no apologies for the violence.

Meanwhile ratings agency Standard & Poor's cut Egypt's sovereign credit rating to B+, with a negative outlook. S&P said the cut reflected Egypt's "weak political and economic profile".
Map showing Tahrir Square and surrounding area

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chronology of the Press in Burma

1836 – 1846 * During this period the first English-language newspaper was launched under British-ruled Tenasserim, southern  Burma . The first ethnic Karen-language and Burmese-language newspapers also appear in this period.     March 3, 1836 —The first English-language newspaper,  The Maulmain Chronicle , appears in the city of Moulmein in British-ruled Tenasserim. The paper, first published by a British official named E.A. Blundell, continued up until the 1950s. September 1842 —Tavoy’s  Hsa-tu-gaw  (the  Morning Star ), a monthly publication in the Karen-language of  Sgaw ,  is established by the Baptist mission. It is the first ethnic language newspaper. Circulation reached about three hundred until its publication ceased in 1849. January 1843 —The Baptist mission publishes a monthly newspaper, the Christian  Dhamma  Thadinsa  (the  Religious Herald ), in Moulmein. Supposedly the first Burmese-language newspaper, it continued up until the first year of the second Angl

Thai penis whitening trend raises eyebrows

Image copyright LELUXHOSPITAL Image caption Authorities warn the procedure could be quite painful A supposed trend of penis whitening has captivated Thailand in recent days and left it asking if the country's beauty industry is taking things too far. Skin whitening is nothing new in many Asian countries, where darker skin is often associated with outdoor labour, therefore, being poorer. But even so, when a clip of a clinic's latest intriguing procedure was posted online, it quickly went viral. Thailand's health ministry has since issued a warning over the procedure. The BBC Thai service spoke to one patient who had undergone the treatment, who told them: "I wanted to feel more confident in my swimming briefs". The 30-year-old said his first session of several was two months ago, and he had since seen a definite change in the shade. 'What for?' The original Facebook post from the clinic offering the treatment, which uses lasers to break do

Myanmar Villagers Tell of 150 Homes Burned in Deadly Army Air Attacks

Artillery fire and aerial bombardments by Myanmar forces killed three civilians and burned scores of houses in their communities in mid-March amid fighting between Myanmar forces and the rebel Arakan Army in war-ravaged Rakhine state, villagers recounted Monday at a press conference. Villagers from Kyauktaw township in western Myanmar's Rakhine state discuss the government military's attacks on their communities at press conference in Sittwe, March 30, 2020. They made the comments after traveling from in Kyauktaw township to the state capital Sittwe to give testimony on a series of attacks on civilian dwellings amid a government-imposed internet shutdown in nine townships in Rakhine and neighboring Chin state, cutting off vital information about the fighting. They villagers accused the Myanmar Army of conducting an aerial bombing on civilian communities that destroyed about 150 homes and a monastery in Pyaing Taing village, while government soldiers on the g